FA Cup roundup: Gateshead earn Charlton tie with win at Altrincham

A late Macaulay Langstaff goal saw National League North side Gateshead progress to the second round of the FA Cup after a dramatic 3-2 win at Altrincham.

Langstaff opened the scoring and Josh Hancock equalised before Dan Ward put the Heed in front again. Dan Mooney levelled the scores but Langstaff’s stoppage-time goal earned Gateshead a home tie against Charlton in the next round.

Mark Cullen’s first-half goal was the difference for League Two side Hartlepool as they beat League One promotion candidates Wycombe.

Bristol Rovers came from behind to knock Oxford United out, scoring three goals in the second half of extra time to win 4-3. Rovers’ Sam Finley opened the scoring before Matty Taylor’s penalty took the game to an extra 30 minutes. Billy Bodin and Steve Seddon scored two goals in three minutes for Oxford, but Sion Spence sparked a comeback for Rovers, scoring once before a 25-yard strike from Aaron Collins levelled matters and Spence struck again with two minutes to go for Rovers to progress.

Stevenage saw off nine-man MK Dons thanks to a late Luke Norris penalty in a 2-1 win. Harry Darling got the opener for a Dons side that was reduced to 10 men when Josh Martin was sent off just before the break. Jamie Reid equalised and Darling was dismissed in extra time for a second yellow card, before Norris grabbed the winner.

Wigan’s Callum Lang dashed Solihull Moors’ hopes of an FA Cup upset with a late goal in extra time to secure a 2-1 victory. Jason Kerr cancelled out Adam Rooney’s penalty before Lang tucked away a close-range effort to seal a trip to Colchester in the next round.

A Jordan Garrick double and goal from Ryan Hardie earned Plymouth a 3-0 win against Sheffield Wednesday. Plymouth meet Rochdale in the second round after Dale beat Notts County 2-1 with goals from Josh Andrews and Jake Beesley.

Harvey Knibbs, Sam Smith and Ben Worman helped Cambridge United to a 3-1 win over Northampton, with Danny Rose netting a consolation for the League Two side. Idris El Mizouni scored the winner 10 minutes from time as Ipswich beat Oldham 2-1 after Conor Chaplin had cancelled out Harrison McGahey’s opener.

Mattie Pollock’s first-half strike saw Cheltenham beat Gillingham 1-0, while Exeter scored three goals in extra time to beat Bradford City 3-0. Matt Jay and Nigel Atangana scored in quick succession for Exeter and the Bradford forward Lee Angol was dismissed for a second yellow card before Jay scored his second of the night.